TAPS Casework Assistance
Author: Melissa LoFaso
Everywhere you turn, you hear people talking about your “path to healing” and “healthy grieving.” But sometimes you are too concerned about making it through the basic daily struggles to even think about taking care of your emotional needs. When you are worried about how to pay for dental care for your child, how to begin the process of getting your baby’s father on the birth certificate, or how to choose between keeping the lights on or feeding your family, your long-term healing can take a lower priority.
The TAPS casework team is here to help you navigate those concerns and get you to a place where you can start to think about healing again. We are here for you. Our caseworkers are available to listen to your concerns and guide you through your questions surrounding healthcare, education, benefits, financial stress, legal issues, and more. Here are some of the ways we can help:
- Connect you to local pro bono attorneys as they are available
- Guide you through your benefits questions and ensure you are in touch with the right people to guarantee you are getting the benefits your loved one earned and provided for you
- Connect you with experts at TRICARE and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to get you and your children set up with the appropriate health care
- Contact organizations on your behalf that fulfill requests for financial assistance
- Provide you with updated information on federal, state, and private education scholarships as well as connect you with experts who can provide you with all the information you need to know about school tuition for both you and your children
- Research a variety of responses to needs as they come up on a case-by-case basis
There is no straight path to healing. Each person’s journey is bumpy, with obstacles throwing you off track just when you thought you were making progress. This is normal, and usually you can get yourself back on track by reaching out to those around you, looking internally, and turning to whatever source of support is most meaningful for you. It’s the big road blocks, though, that can cause you to ignore your emotional needs or tuck them away to deal with at a later date when you find the time. There is a way to break through the blocks while allowing yourself to grieve, and we are here to help you figure out how.
To talk with one of our caseworkers, call us at 800-959-8277.
By Melissa LoFaso, Manager TAPS Casework Assistance: Melissa LoFaso joined TAPS as the Casework Assistance Manager, in 2009. She oversees the casework department, which facilitates answers to all surviving family member questions involving benefits, burials, financial concerns, and any related issues. Melissa is a nationally certified counselor and holds a master’s degree in education and human development, specializing in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with a focus on grief and trauma.
By Melissa LoFaso, Manager, TAPS Casework Assistance