SPECIAL NOTE: All of our host spots have been filled for the 2022 TAPS Friendsgiving; however, you can still submit your ideas for hosting survivors at TAPS Togethers in your local community! If you would like to learn more about future opportunities like our TAPS Friendsgiving initiative, email email@example.com and we'll be sure to keep you updated.
We are grateful for your willingness to host local survivors, and hope you are still able to attend a TAPS Friendsgiving event - in-person or online!
This November, we’re inviting our TAPS family to lean into the idea of Friendsgiving. Even in the strange, imperfect grief world, we can still get together and lean in to what we know to be true - that we aren’t alone, that we are part of something bigger than ourselves, and that it does help to share pie or turkey sandwiches with people who “get it.”
The Thanksgiving holiday, at its heart, is about gratitude, community, and the imperative to continue despite challenging conditions. Our “Friendsgiving” concept is the same - wherever you are, create and celebrate the community you need as you navigate your own new [grief] world.
TAPS Friendsgiving is an opportunity to support your local survivor community, or you may want to find a local survivor community. A Friendsgiving event is a great opportunity to do both. What’s important, though, is that whether you decide to throw a one-person party or bring together fifty people, you’ll be part of a larger story that we’re telling - one that helps us all remember that even when it seems like we’re trying to carve out an existence on our own, we’re actually part of a larger story. We’ll tell this story on TAPS social media.
TAPS Friendsgiving events will be held all across the country on various dates in November. You might find one as part of your local care group, or you might decide that you want to lead the charge and get survivors in your community together. If you want to meet new people, we invite you to join a public event. If you want to gather your nearest and dearest, the rest of us will look forward to some great photos.
- November 1, 6 to 7 p.m. - Austin, Texas - Pie and Coffee
- November 5, 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. - Daniel Island, South Carolina - Danish and Coffee
- November 7, 6 to 7:30 p.m. - Las Vegas, Nevada - Pie and Coffee
- November 10, 7 to 8:30 p.m. - Hatboro, Pennsylvania - Pie and Coffee
- November 12, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. - Melbourne, Florida - Pie and Coffee
- November 12, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Peoria, Arizona - Pie and Coffee
- November 12, 12 to 2 p.m. - Lyman, Maine - Traditional Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving with a Twist
- November 12, 2 to 4 p.m. - Hamburg, New York - Pie and Coffee
- November 12, 2 to 4 p.m. - Chesapeake, Virginia - Traditional Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving with a Twist
- November 12, 2 to 4 p.m. - Goldthwaite, Texas - Cake and Coffee
- November 13, 12 to 4 p.m. - Arlington, Virginia - Thanksgiving Potluck and Ornament Decorating
- November 15, 7 to 8:30 p.m. - Fairfax, Virginia - Pie and Coffee
- November 16, 6 to 8:30 p.m. - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - TAPS Family Favorites
- November 19, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. - Portage, Michigan - TAPS Family Favorites
- November 19, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. - Nashville, Tennessee - Pie and Coffee
- November 19, 12 to 2:30 p.m. - Fayetteville, North Carolina - TAPS Family Favorites
- November 19, 1 to 4 p.m. - Flower Mound, Texas - TAPS Family Favorites
- November 20, 3 to 5 p.m. - Princeton Junction, New Jersey - Pie and Coffee
- November 20, 3 to 5 p.m. - Locust Grove, Virginia - TAPS Family Favorites Potluck
- November 21, 6 to 9 p.m. - Roseville, California - TAPS Family Favorites
- November 24, 12 to 2 p.m. - Plano, Texas - Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner
- November 26, 9 to 10:30 a.m. - Burnsville, Minnesota - Pie and Coffee
Additional Friendsgiving dates and locations will be posted here as the details become available.
Online Groups will be TAPS Friendsgiving, Dessert and Coffee events in November. We invite you register to join your peer group for this special event.
- November 2, 7 p.m. Eastern - Men
- November 8, 8 p.m. Eastern - Unmarried Partners
- November 8, 9 p.m. Eastern - Surviving Siblings
- November 9, 8 p.m. Eastern - Moms Mentoring Moms
- November 9, 6:30 or 9 p.m. Eastern - Spanish Speaking Survivors
- November 14, 8 p.m. Eastern - Married Partners
- November 14, 8 p.m. Eastern - Surviving Parents
- November 14, 8 p.m. Eastern - Parents of Suicide Loss
- November 16, 7 p.m. Eastern or 7 p.m. Pacific - All Survivors Welcome
- November 21, 8 p.m. Eastern - Combat Loss Survivor
- November 21, 8 p.m. Eastern - Illness Loss Survivor
- November 21, 8 p.m. Eastern - Suicide Loss Survivor
- November 28, 8 p.m. Eastern - Peer Mentors
Care Group leaders, peer mentors, and community organizers - have questions? We’ve got you. If you want to discuss the options with us, we’d love to brainstorm with you and make it happen. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.