Detroit Lions Salute to Service with TAPS
TAPS is excited to be partnering with the Detroit Lions for a unique opportunity to honor and recognize fallen service men and women and the families they left behind. The Detroit Lions will host TAPS Families for a Salute to Service Weekend, November 16 to 17, 2019, and honor 25 Fallen Heroes to mark the 25th Anniversary of TAPS, founded in 1994, during their Salute to Service game on November 17, 2019.
Players from the Detroit Lions will wear the initials of a Fallen Hero on their helmets and the families of the fallen will be a part of the pre-game ceremony. The program will pay tribute to the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces, or who died from injuries sustained while serving, in the post 9/11 era.
In addition to game day ceremonies, the Detroit Lions have extended a special invitation for the families to join the team at a private practice on Saturday, November 16, 2019.
This online entry request form (look for the blue button at the top of this page) will open at noon Eastern on Wednesday, September 18, 2019, and will close when 100 forms have been received OR at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Sunday, September 22, 2019, whichever comes first.
IMPORTANT: TAPS has updated our registration system so you will notice a new look when you click on the link to enter! We are so excited to be launching a new version of the TAPS Registration System with a survivor portal. You can choose to create an account and then use that account to complete your entry form OR you can enter without creating an account (green button).
If you already have a TAPS Online Community Account - great news: you will be able to use that for TAPS Event entry and registration!
- This online entry request form will close when 100 forms have been received OR at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Sunday, September 22, 2019, whichever comes first.
- If there are more than 25 families interested in the program, there will be a random selection process, which means that some will not be selected.
- For the selected families, a maximum of two (2) members from each fallen hero's family will participate in the honor and recognition events during the Salute to Service Weekend. If your family does participate in the event, both registered family representatives must be available on November 16, and November 17, 2019, and must attend all scheduled events.
- For the 25 selected families, the Detroit Lions will provide each family with up to 2 tickets to the game, an invitation to private team practice and a special gift from the team.
- Any survivor under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian or a surviving adult family member with permission from their parent/guardian. All participants must be 6 years of age or older.
- At this time, this opportunity is not available to those families whose Fallen Heroes were previously honored at the 2018 Detroit Lions Salute to Service event with TAPS.
- If your family does participate in the event, you will need to provide a high resolution photo and bio of your loved one as well as a family bio for those attending. This information will be shared with media and Lions fans to educate them on our Fallen Heroes and this military recognition program.
- All transportation and travel for this Salute to Service opportunity will be the responsibility of the attending family.
We are grateful to our friends at the Detroit Lions for this occasion to honor and recognize our loved ones.