State Survivor Benefits For New Hampshire

Scholarship for Orphans of Veterans


  • Children
  • Children must be between the ages of 16 and 25
  • Service member must have died while on active duty, regardless of cause, during a time of war or of a service connected disability after leaving service
  • Service member must have been New Hampshire resident at time of death, student must be New Hampshire resident for at least a year prior to application
  • Can be used with federal benefits


  • Waiver of full tuition and fees
  • Stipend of up to $2,500 a year for room, board and books
  • Can be used for a maximum of 4 years
  • Must be used at a New Hampshire state funded postsecondary institution
  • Student must be enrolled at least half time
  • Can be used for undergraduate and graduate degrees


  • Copy of DD1300 and DD214 (needs proof of when/where service member entered service and the Department of Veteran’s Affairs claim number)
  • Copy of service members death certificate
  • Copy of marriage license for stepchildren
  • Proof of residency for both student and service member
  • VA certification proving line of duty death
  • Most recent transcripts

Application due date: None

Contact for further information: New Hampshire Department of Veterans Affairs

Download application:

Note: This information is current as of September 16, 2014. The information provided is meant to provide a general overview of the state benefits and should be considered in connection with individual circumstances.