State Survivor Benefits For Minnesota

Minnesota GI Bill/Surviving Spouse & Dependent Education Benefit


  • Children, stepchildren and un-remarried spouses if DEERS verified
  • There are no cause of death stipulations
  • Service member must have been a Minnesota resident at time of entry into service or for at least 6 months immediately prior to death
  • Can be used with federal benefits (SSDEB)
  • Must be used with federal benefits (MN GI Bill)


  • Waiver of tuition at a Minnesota state funded postsecondary institution, can only be used towards under graduate degree (SSDEB)
  • $1,000 per semester and up to $3,000 per year at a Minnesota state funded postsecondary institution, can be used towards a graduate degree (MN GI Bill)
  • Can be used at certain private institutions
  • $750 stipend per year to be used for books, room, board and fees (SSDEB)


  • Copy of DD1300 or DD214
  • Copy of student’s birth certificate
  • Copy of service members death certificate
  • Copy of marriage license for spouses and stepchildren
  • Proof of residency
  • State application

Application due date: By the last day of the term

Contact for further information: Eric Abell -

Download application: (MN GI Bill)

Note: This information is current as of December 2015. The information provided is meant to provide a general overview of the state benefits and should be considered in connection with individual circumstances.