State Survivor Benefits For Massachusetts

Public Service Grant Program


  • Children, stepchildren (if DEERS eligible) and remarried or unremarried spouses
  • Service members cause of death must be ruled line of duty by the Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Service member must have entered service from the state of Massachusetts; Student must be a Massachusetts state resident for at least a year immediately prior to application
  • Can be used with federal benefits


  • Award equal to the full tuition if attending a Massachusetts public institution
  • Award of up to $2,500 a year at a Massachusetts independent college
  • Does not cover room, board or books
  • Can only be used towards undergraduate degrees
  • Students must be enrolled full time (at least 12 credit hours)
  • Must be used at a Massachusetts public institution or Massachusetts independent college


  • Copy of DD1300 or DD214
  • Copy of service members death certificate
  • Copy of marriage license for spouses and stepchildren
  • Copy of students birth certificate
  • Proof of residency
  • Selective Service registration
  • Copy of students most recent transcripts

Application due date: May 1st for new applicants, prior to the start of the term for renewal

Contact for further information: Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance- Bridget Lynch (617) 391-6070

Download application:

Note: This information is current as of September 16, 2014. The information provided is meant to provide a general overview of the state benefits and should be considered in connection with individual circumstances.