State Survivor Benefits For Louisiana

Louisiana Dependents Educational Assistance


  • Children, stepchildren, unremarried spouses
  • Children must be between the ages of 16 and 25
  • Service member must have died while on active duty, in the line of duty or from a service-connected disability. Suicides are covered provided it can be proved that they were service connected (post-traumatic stress).
  • Service member must have died during a U.S. time of war
  • Service member must have been a Louisiana resident for at least one year immediately prior to death; no residency requirements for students
  • Can be used with federal benefits


  • Four years of waived tuition and school-imposed fees
  • Does not cover room or board
  • Must be used within five years of enrolling
  • Must be used at a Louisiana state-funded university, community college or technical school
  • Can only be used toward undergraduate degrees


  • Copy of DD1300 or DD214
  • Copy of student’s birth certificate
  • Copy of marriage certificate for spouses
  • Copy of service member's death certificate
  • Proof of residency

Application due date: Due by the last date of enrollment for the semester

Contact for further information: Alfred Leger or Glenn Hebert at 225-219-5008, or

Note: This information is current as of Sept. 26, 2014. The information provided is meant to give a general overview of the state benefits and should be taken into consideration with individual circumstances.