State Survivor Benefits For Idaho

Armed Forces/Public Safety Officer Scholarship


  • Children and remarried or unremarried spouses
  • Service member's cause of death must be ruled line of duty by the Department of Veterans Affairs; suicides are covered provided it can be proved that they were service-connected (post-traumatic stress)
  • Service member must be an Idaho state resident at time of death or stationed in or deployed from Idaho; student must be an Idaho state resident at time of application, and if a child must have graduated from high school in Idaho
  • Can be used with federal benefits


  • Waiver of tuition, fees and on-campus housing
  • $500 per semester for books and subsistence
  • Benefits can be used for a maximum of 36 months
  • Must be used at an Idaho state-funded post-secondary institution
  • Can only be used for undergraduate studies


  • Copy of DD1300 or DD214
  • Copy of service member's death certificate
  • Copy of marriage license for spouses
  • Copy of student’s birth certificate
  • Proof of residency
  • Letter of certification from the Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Copy of most recent transcripts

Application due date: None

Contact for further information: Joy Miller at 208-332-1595 or

Note: This information is current as of Sept. 27, 2016. The information provided is meant to give a general overview of the state benefits and should be taken into consideration with individual circumstances.