State Survivor Benefits For Connecticut

Veterans Tuition Waiver


  • Children, unremarried spouses and stepchildren (if parents were married at least one year prior to death)
  • Service member must have been killed in action
  • Service member must have died on or after 9/11
  • Service member must have been a Connecticut state resident and student must be a Connecticut state resident
  • Can be used with federal benefits


  • Waiver of full tuition
  • Does not include books, fees, parking, room and board
  • Can only be used for undergraduate degree
  • Can only be used at a Connecticut public college or university or at the Charter Oak State College


  • Copy of DD1300 or DD214
  • Copy of student’s birth certificate or driver’s license
  • Copy of service member's death certificate
  • Proof of residency
  • Copy of tax returns

Application due date: Varies by school

Contact for further information: Thomas Stefanko at

Note: This information is current as of Sept. 16, 2014. The information provided is meant to give a general overview of the state benefits and should be taken into consideration with individual circumstances.