Free Tuition For Spouse Or Dependent Of Armed Service Memeber


  • Children, stepchildren and spouses (remarried or unremarried)
  • Children must enroll prior to their 23rd birthday
  • Service member's cause of death must be ruled line of duty by the Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Service member must have died on or after 9/11
  • Service member must have been an Alaska state resident for at least one year prior to death or listed Alaska as their home state for military records
  • Can be used with federal benefits


  • Waiver of tuition and fees
  • Does not include room, board or books
  • Can be used for undergraduate degree only
  • Must be used at an Alaska state-funded postsecondary institution
  • Maximum of five years of benefits


  • Copy of DD1300 or DD214
  • Copy of student’s birth certificate
  • Copy of marriage license for spouses and step-children
  • Copy of service members death certificate
  • Proof of residency

Application due date: None

Contact for further information: Jackie Alleyne-McCants at 907-474-7256

Note: This information is current as of September 12, 2014. The information provided is meant to give a general overview of the state benefits and should be taken into consideration with individual circumstances.