Posting Date: August 1, 2018
Location: TAPS Headquarters in Arlington, Virginia or Phoenix, Arizona (either location preferred)
This position is responsible for offering support to surviving families through the efforts of casework assistance, research and problem-solving support, proactive advocacy, private and public agency networking, and long term follow up on issues presented to TAPS via the casework process or alternative avenues, to include TAPS Survivor Care Team referrals and/or referrals from internal and external parties.
Essential Job Functions
- Accept oral and written inquiries from those within and outside TAPS community seeking assistance with a casework issue
- Respond to casework referrals from TAPS’ Survivor Support personnel in a timely fashion (typically within 24 hours or sooner if the issue or need is time-sensitive)
- Thoroughly assess and identify survivors’ needs based on the information provided by the survivor initially and in subsequent interviews/discussions
- Contact appropriate sources (e.g. military office, funeral homes, TAPS staff, etc.) to obtain resources, facilitate delivery of services and/or advocate on behalf of the survivor
- Inform the survivors of their options/answers and provide additional external resources when appropriate
- Thoroughly document all communications with survivors and internal/external parties utilizing the casework database journaling tools
- Other duties as assigned, to include support of major TAPS events where casework assistance will be offered
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Psychology, Political Science or related field preferred
- 3-5 years of experience as an advocate, military casualty officer, social worker, constituent services representative or similar field in which constituent advocacy and casework research and investigation was performed
- Able to work independently, well organized and able to track multiple cases/priorities
- Must be tactful, compassionate, reliable and tenacious
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Able to exercise sound judgment and discretion
- Require intermediate skills in MS Word and MS Excel
Commensurate with experience
TAPS provides a range of benefits and three weeks of paid vacation per year.
Please send a resume and salary history to email@example.com along with the job title and your name in the subject line. Include a cover letter that concisely explains how your experience could be applied to TAPS.
TAPS is an equal opportunity employer.