State Survivor Benefits For West Virginia

War Orphans Education Program


  • Children and unremarried spouses
  • Children must be between the ages of 16 and 25
  • Service member must have died while on active duty during a period of war or from a service connected injury
  • Service member must have designated West Virginia as home state of record
  • Can be used with Chapter 35 benefits but now with Fry


  • Waiver of full tuition and fees at any West Virginia state funded postsecondary institution
  • Stipend for room, board, books, clothing, travel and other incidentals
  • Can be used towards undergraduate and graduate degree programs
  • A maximum of $2,000 scholarship for private or out of state institutions


  • Copy of DD1300 or DD214
  • Copy of service members death certificate
  • Copy of marriage license for spouses
  • Copy of birth certificate for all students
  • 3 letters of recommendation

Application due date: First week of August for fall semesters; First week of December for spring semesters

Contact for further information: Angela Meadows- (304) 558-3661

Download application: Click Here

Note: This information is current as of September 16, 2014. The information provided is meant to provide a general overview of the state benefits and should be considered in connection with individual circumstances