State Survivor Benefits For Washington

Dependents Tuition Waiver


  • Children, stepchildren and unremarried spouses
  • Children must be between the ages of 17 and 26
  • Spouses have 10 years from date of death to utilize benefits
  • Service member must have died while on active duty, regardless of the cause of death
  • Service members must have been Washington state residents at time of entry into service or at time of death students must be Washington state residents at time of application
  • Can be used with federal benefits


  • Waiver of full tuition and certain fees at any Washington state funded postsecondary institution
  • Waiver is applicable at certain private schools in the state of Washington (contact the school directly for further information)
  • Schools are encouraged to waive graduate degree programs as well, but not required (contact the school directly for further information)
  • Does not cover room, board or books
  • Maximum of 200 quarter credit hours


  • Copy of DD1300 or DD214
  • Copy of service members death certificate
  • Copy of marriage license for stepchildren and spouses
  • Proof of residency
  • Most recent transcripts
  • Letter of certification from the Department of Veterans Affairs

Application due date: Varies by school

Contact for further information: Contact the school directly or the Department of Veterans Affairs- (360) 725-2219

Note: This information is current as of September 16, 2014. The information provided is meant to provide a general overview of the state benefits and should be considered in connection with individual circumstances.