State Survivor Benefits For Pennsylvania

Educational Gratuity Program


  • Children and stepchildren only
  • Students must be between the ages of 16 and 23 when using the benefit
  • Service members must have been killed in action during a time of declared war by the military
  • Service member and student must have been Pennsylvania residents for at least 5 years
  • Can be used with federal benefits


  • Maximum of $500 per semester
  • Can be used for no more than 4 years
  • Benefit is to be used to offset other grants and scholarships
  • Money can be used for any educational expense including, but not limited to: room, board, books, travel and incidentals


  • Copy of DD214 military record or DD1300
  • Copy of student’s birth certificate
  • Proof of dependency for stepchildren
  • Copy of service members death certificate
  • Proof of residency for at least 5 years
  • MA-VA 30 and VA form 3288

Application due date: None

Contact for further information: Office of the Deputy Adjutant General for Veterans Affairs- (800) 547-2832

Note: This information is current as of September 16, 2014. The information provided is meant to provide a general overview of the state benefits and should be considered in connection with individual circumstances.