Director of Communications and Media Relations
Posting Date: January 4, 2017
TAPS is currently seeking candidates for the Director of Communications and Media Relations. This position is located at the TAPS National Headquarters in Arlington, Virginia.
As the head of the Communications Department, this executive will report to the Chief Strategy & Communications Officer and will work integrally with all TAPS departments. The director will set and guide TAPS' brand and strategy for all communications, including digital communications, public relations messages, media relations, and collateral to consistently articulate the TAPS mission across a diverse range of audiences.
Listed below are three key areas of focus:
- Communications Strategy - Lead the development of the TAPS organization-wide communications plan and messaging framework. Work with the TAPS management team and external partners to implement the communications strategy across all TAPS communications and educate staff to ensure consistency of voice. Proactively update leadership and incorporate into the organization's communications plan and materials, as needed.
- Communications Management - Create a messaging platform, as well as visual style guide; ensure the messaging platform has strength and consistency across all communications. Lead and manage content development and deadlines surrounding all communications, including the TAPS website, social media, videos, presentations, speeches, and collateral materials, with bold and fresh communications to engage new and existing audiences. Develop and manage annual communications budget, manage and collaborate with external consultants and vendors, and develop/maintain contracts, as needed. Monitor progress to ensure deliverables are being met and goals achieved.
- Strengthen the TAPS Voice - Identify and forge relationships with top-tier media on key issues; prepare releases, pitch stories, secure speaking opportunities for leadership, and orchestrate media communications and events to ensure placement of positive stories
- Bachelor's degree or higher, in communications, journalism, public relations or marketing
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in communications, media relations, marketing, public relations or related field
- Excellent oral and written skills, with a strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience leading a strategy development and implementation process to support a multi-year communications plan that works across platforms, targets diverse audiences, and leverages key partnerships
- Ability to work in a collaborative, dynamic environment, with time sensitive deadlines
- Ability to manage projects and operate independently, with a task oriented focus
- Ability to travel, at least once a month, to attend and/or speak at various survivor partner and /or government events
- Ability to think creatively and work strategically
- Experienced with web management
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office tools
- Experienced in managing all social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube
- Ability to work independently and as a self-starter who takes initiative
- Team player who can multitask
TAPS offers 15 days of Personal Time Off (PTO), medical insurance, Life and Short-Term Disability insurance and a 401(k) Plan
Please send a resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org along with the job title and your name in the subject line. Include a cover letter that concisely explains how your experience could be applied to TAPS.
TAPS is an equal opportunity employer.