State Survivor Benefits For Kansas

Educational Benefits for Dependents of Deceased Military Personnel


  • Children, stepchildren and unremarried spouses
  • Service member must have been killed in action
  • Service member must have died during a period of declared war or conflict
  • Student must be Kansas residents for at least a year; there is no residency requirement for the service member
  • Can be used with federal benefits


  • Waiver of tuition and mandatory fees
  • Does not include room, board and books
  • Can only be used for an undergraduate degree
  • Maximum of 10 semesters
  • Must be used at a Kansas state-funded post-secondary institution


  • Copy of DD1300 or death certificate
  • Proof of relationship to service member (birth certificate, marriage license or obituary)
  • Application

Application due date: None but takes 30 days to process

Contact for further information: Diane Lindeman at 785-296-3517 or

Download application:

Note: This information is current as of Sept. 25, 2014. The information provided is meant to give a general overview of the state benefits and should be taken into consideration with individual circumstances.