State Survivor Benefits for Alabama

GI Dependent's Scholarship Program


  • Children, stepchildren and unremarried spouses
  • Children must enroll prior to 26th birthday
  • Service member's cause of death must be ruled in the line of duty or as a result of a service-connected disability
  • Service member must have either entered service from Alabama or since established Alabama as state of residency for at least a year prior to death. There is no residency requirement for the student.
  • Can be used with federal benefits


  • Five years of free tuition, instructional fees and required textbooks
  • Does not cover room or board
  • Can be used for both undergraduate and graduate degrees
  • Must be used at an Alabama state-funded postsecondary institution


  • Copy of DD1300 or DD214
  • Copy of student’s birth certificate
  • Copy of service member's death certificate
  • Proof of residency
  • Copy of marriage certificate (for spouses and stepchildren)

Application due date: No deadline but takes 45 days to process

Contact for further information: Alabama Veterans Affairs at 334-242-5077

Note: This information is current as of Sept. 12, 2014. The information provided is meant to give a general overview of the state benefits and should be taken into consideration with individual circumstances.