Posting Date: July 27, 2022
Reports to: President
Location: TAPS National Headquarters, Arlington, Virginia
This position will report to the President and will work integrally with all TAPS Departments. The director will lead a team of communications specialists to deliver high-quality communications and outreach materials. She/he will coordinate high-value media engagement and deliver exceptional storytelling across all communication platforms. A solutions-oriented mindset, a willingness to travel, and a compassionate commitment to the TAPS mission are essential for this position.
- Set and lead TAPS’ brand and strategy for all communications, including digital communications, public relations messages, and collateral, to consistently articulate TAPS mission across a diverse range of audiences.
- Lead the development of the TAPS organization-wide communications plan and messaging framework.
- Work with the TAPS management team and external partners to implement the communications strategy across all TAPS communications and educate staff to ensure consistency of voice.
- Lead the team to elevate the visibility of the brand through earned, owned, and paid channels.
- Proactively update leadership and incorporate into the organization’s communications plan and materials, as needed.
- Create a messaging platform, ensure compliance with the visual style guide; ensure the messaging platform has strength and consistency across all communications.
- Lead and manage content development and deadlines for all communications, including the TAPS website, social media, presentations, speeches, and collateral materials, with bold and fresh communications to engage new and existing audiences.
- Develop and manage annual communications budget, manage and collaborate with external consultants and vendors, and develop/maintain contracts, as needed.
- Monitor progress to ensure deliverables are met and goals achieved.
- Bachelor's degree or higher, in communications, journalism, public relations or marketing
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in communications, media relations, marketing, public relations, or related field
- Effective communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated success in team-oriented collaboration
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with many constituencies, including staff, Board of Directors, and volunteers
- Excellent editing skills, with a strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience leading a strategy development and implementation process/team to support a multi-year communications plan that works across platforms, targets diverse audiences, and leverages key partnerships
- Ability to work in a collaborative, dynamic environment, with time-sensitive deadlines
- Ability to manage projects and operate independently, with a task-oriented focus
- Ability to travel and attend and/or speak at various survivor, partner and/or government events
- Ability to think creatively and work strategically
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Experienced in managing social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube
- Team player who can multitask
Commensurate with experience
TAPS provides a range of benefits and three weeks of paid vacation per year.
Please email a resume and salary requirements to email@example.com along with "Director, Communications" and your name in the subject line. Include a cover letter that concisely explains how your experience could be applied to TAPS.
TAPS is an equal opportunity employer.