Manager, Development and Strategic Partnerships
Posting Date: January 22, 2017
Reports to: Senior Advisor for Development
The Manager, Development and Strategic Partnerships will be responsible for researching and securing co-branding/cause marketing partnerships to benefit TAPS as well as leading a Capital Campaign to support the new TAPS Institute and Headquarters location.
The position involves researching, cultivating, soliciting, securing and stewarding prospects/donors, representing TAPS in a variety of settings both independently and with other staff and supporting key staff across all teams to interface effectively with donors and prospects.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience Required
- Knowledge of Brand Marketing
- Experience with Capital Campaigns – large and small donors
- Current Professional Relationships among Prospective Donors
- Strategic Planning
- Proposal Development and Execution
- Project Management
- Persuasive Public Speaking
- Strong Writing Skills for Persuasive Grant Writing and After-Action Reports
- Donor Maintenance and Stewardship
- Ability to Operate Independently; Ability to Operate Collaboratively; Experience to Know the Difference
Seek opportunities for partnerships among third party consumer products, retailers, and service providers.
Explore the wider, strategic role that TAPS branding can play: driving broad, long-term social goals, while strengthening internal identity, cohesion, and capacity.
Share the TAPS brand to showcase our important mission, as well as the strong group of unified people behind that mission.
Establish effective and professional lines of communication with prospective partners.
Develop a Capitol Campaign including identification, cultivation, solicitation and appreciation of these donors.
Recruit and steward strong partners to support TAPS National Seminars (2) and TAPS Regional Seminars (6), i.e., t-shirts; food and beverage; entertainment; etc.
Engage in grant seeking opportunities including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements, as necessary.
Facilitate meetings with appropriate TAPS representatives and potential donors.
Effectively leverage the TAPS Board of Directors and TAPS President with current and potential donors.
Make public appearances and accept speaking engagements to share information about TAPS. Travel, as necessary, to represent TAPS and facilitate partner relationships. Key locations include Texas, Atlanta, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, New York City and Denver.
Support creation of publications to support fund raising outreach.
Minimum Professional Qualifications
- Five years of experience in a non-profit leadership position or similar fundraising experience is a must
- Undergraduate degree; Advanced Degree preferred
- Experience in creating and implementing fundraising plans
- Personal or professional connection with U.S. military
- Familiarity with operational processes in nonprofits and legalities surrounding non-profit fundraising techniques.
- Track record of effectively identifying, researching and prioritizing new major donor prospects.
- Candidate must be proficient using Microsoft Office Suite. A working knowledge of donor software and customer relationship management systems, specifically, Raiser’s Edge, Blackbaud and Luminate are a plus.
- Designing and executing sophisticated fundraising research practices, including contemporary internet-based and social-network media savvy cultivation is also a major plus.
The successful candidate should be:
- A leader. One that will demonstrate a mature confidence in leading and managing change in a very dynamic environment,
- A vision setter. Someone who can see the big picture, independently access current membership products and creatively offer ideas on new programs and membership offerings,
- A strong relationship builder. Someone comfortable soliciting major gifts while working equally well with a sizeable volunteer corps,
- A confident personality. Someone who is comfortable in the face of differing opinions while not necessarily needing to be in the limelight or the “face” of the organization,
- Collaborative in nature. Someone who is responsive towards and thrives in a team environment and will readily integrate with the TAPS program staff,
- Flexible and resilient. This person must be able to flourish in a 24/7 working environment that is unpredictable and emotionally charged,
- Highly intelligent, with an innate ability to quickly become an expert on the planned giving and the technical aspects of raising philanthropic dollars and managing high end donor groups, should their previous positions not already include this knowledge base,
- Goal-oriented. This person not only recognizes effective activities and tactics, but understands and communicates their value to achieving the organization’s strategic goals,
- Excellent “customer” focus, with the ability to successfully navigate through the complexities of having multiple stakeholders,
- A true listener. The successful candidate is an active listener with an inquiring, questioning personality,
- An appreciator. Someone that knows how to overly thank those who generously give and how to encourage them to keep giving and to increase their level of giving,
- A polished and social professional. Someone that truly enjoys the social aspects of working with people while capitalizing on their ingrained ability to connect and network with the organization’s major donors and sponsors,
- A self-motivator. Someone that genuinely receives satisfaction by working hard and demonstrating value to an organization, and
- A well-balanced and caring person. Someone that can professionally live with the news of tragic circumstances on a daily basis, but still see the bright side and positive outcome of TAPS’ efforts and be inspired to strive for continued success.
Commensurate with experience
TAPS provides a range of benefits and three weeks of paid vacation per year.
Please send a resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org along with "Development" and your name in the subject line. Include a cover letter that concisely explains how your experience could be applied to TAPS.
TAPS is an equal opportunity employer.